Thursday, September 25, 2008

Waiting For A Run

Salmon River, Pulaski, NY - The water flows remain at 335 CFS this will continue until the weekend. After that who knows, we need rain. For now water temperatures remained decent in the upper 50 degree range, cold nights have been helping to maintain decent water temperatures. There still has not been a run of salmon of any consequence for almost 2 weeks. Most mornings at first light there will be precious few salmon scattered along the length of the DSR. Once the sunlight hits the water the salmon somehow managed to disappear. All the action for now is centered around both fly fishing zones. These fish are starting to show the effects of heavy fishing pressure. There is still some very good fish to be caught. In fact we have enjoyed a nice mix big of Chinook salmon, Coho salmon, steelhead and Brown trout. It is possible to have a great lakes grand slam and catch all four fish not just on the same day but from the same run. Because of the fishing pressure, we've had to lighting up in the tippets and go down to 3X and drop our fly size down. Instead of swinging size 4 wooly buggers and size 2 wet flies, we are using a high stick nymphing technique and strike indicators. The flies that we are using are size 8 black stone flies, infected pheasant tail's size 8 and wet flies size 8 and 6.
There is a lot of fish sitting out in the estuary of the river, eventually these fish will make there run up River. Exactly when is anybody's guess put we are overdue for a run. Hopefully we will have a run sown.

Note; I still have prime days available in October 10, 25. For November Brown trout and steelhead, I still have 18, 26, 28, 29, 30 is still available. Call the fly shop the number is 585-352-4775 my cell number is 585-233-0436 or e-mail me at

No comments:

Post a Comment